I know, another year and here we go again with another set of db’s finestkind. I have bemoaned to all and sundry that “this year is terrible”. However, again we have 3 cd’s worth, somehow.
It is not as if I have been taking it easy and found that my plus pile is short. No, I have listened to more albums and artists this year than ever before. I should count each week but I forgot to do this after a while. But around 20 – 30 artists each week, with my trawling net fishing the oceans of Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, Iceland, Norway, Denmark…. You get the idea.
A common problem is the first and sometimes second track is all there is to be had. Thereafter a pile of doodoo lies in wait. This reflects that my old profession (A&R) has died and that committees or marketing departments are now running the entire creative process.
No one is talking to artists and saying that the first ten songs they write are not necessarily the equivalent of Moses handing out the tablets. That it may not be the greatest idea going into the studio with the artist as the producer or their mate taking on the role. Because most of the albums this year certainly sound like this is the way things have happened.
The list of failures from previous finestkind artists to make finestkind this year, are way too many to go into here. Needless to say I have a huge pile to sell… Yet, when a good singer comes along with 10 good songs and an album that has been produced with style and skill, you can sell an awful lot. People celebrate and buy in droves, such is the case with Adele. You probably have bought it already, so no need to feature the lovely lady here.
However there are some brilliant albums to be bought and adored from the collection, oh yes. This year will cost you or your nearest and dearest, there are some perfect stocking fillers to be had. Should your Aunt or Uncle send you a record token or one of those itunes tokens, then you will have plenty of choice. Now every year there is a mad dash to get everything together, which would be nigh impossible if these lovely people did not pitch in their expertise.
So lets hear it for Tim Oliver, master of mastering and programming. He makes everything sound as if it were one album,: genius. He is stuck in his little box for hours making sure its good to go.
Carol Say who coordinates the artistic community and makes sure it goes out… in those little jiffy bags to you.
So the team is in motion …and pretty soon ..thru your letterbox… finestkind 2015.
Always like an email to let me know what you enjoyed and bought…
1. Lord Huron – Cursed – Strange Trails – Play It Again Sam Records
2. Decemberists – Easy Come Easy Go – What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World – Rough Trade/Capitol Records
3. Jack Savoretti – Back To Me – Written In Scars – BMG Records
4. Michael Kiwanuka – – You’ve Got Nothing to Lose – You’ve Got Nothing to Lose – Communion Records/Polydor Records
5. Melanie De Biasio – The Flow – – No Deal – Play It Again Sam Records
6. Jill Scott – Wild Cookie – – Woman – BluesBabe/Atlantic Records –
7. Son Little – The River – Son Little – Anti Inc/Epitaph Records
8. Leon Bridges – Smooth Sailin’ – Coming Home – Columbia/Sony Records
9. JD McPherson – Let The Good Times Roll – – Let The Good Times Roll – – Rounder Records
10. Moon Duo – Wilding – Shadow Of The Sun – Sacred Bones Records –
11. Paul Weller – In The Car – Saturns Pattern – Parlophone Records
12. Elliot Moss – Big Bad Wolf – Highspeeds – Play It Again Sam Records
13. Josh Garrels – Colors – Home – – Small Voice Records
14. Acorn – – Cumin – Vieux Loup – Paper Bag Records
15. Iron & Wine & Ben Bridwell – No Way Out Of Here – Sing Into My Mouth – Black Cricket/Caroline Records
16. Lord Huron – Love Like Ghosts – Strange Trails – Play It Again Sam Records
17. Noah Gundersen – Slow Dancer – Carry The Ghost – Dualtone Records
18. Ryan Adams – – Blank Space – – 1989 – PaxAm/Sony Records
19. Decemberists – Lake Song – What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World – Rough Trade/Capitol Records
20. Billy Gibbons And The BFG’s – Treat Her Right – Perfectamundo Concord/Universal Records
1. Lord Huron – Until The Night Comes – Strange Trails – Play It Again Sam Records
2. Iron & Wine & Ben Bridwell – – This Must Be The Place – Sing Into My Mouth – Black Cricket/Caroline Records
3. Natalie Merchant – San Andreas Fault – –
4. Kaleo – All The Pretty Girls – All The Pretty Girls – Elektra/Atlantic
5. Israel Nash – Parlour Song – Silver Season – Continental Record Services/Loose
6. Ryan Adams – Wildest Dreams – 1989 – PaxAm/Sony Records
7. Paul Weller – Pick It Up – Saturns Pattern – Parlophone Records
8. Son Little – – Cross My Heart (RJD2 Remix|) – Son Little – – Anti Inc/Epitaph Records
9. Fat Freddy’s Drop – Razor – Bays The Drop
10. Josh Garrels – Leviathan – – Home – Small Voice Records
11. Ryley Walker – Primrose Green – Land Of Plenty – Whistler Records
12. Jack Savoretti – Home – Written In Scars – BMG Records
13. Richard Hawley – – Serenade Of Blue – Hollow Meadows – Parlophone
14. Noah Gundersen – – Jealous Love – Carry The Ghost – – Dualtone Records
15. Martin Courtney – Vestiges – Many Moons – Dominoes
16. Daisy Vaughan – Would You Remember – Light On Our Limbs – Antar
17. Melanie De Biasio – I’m Gonna Leave You – – No Deal – Play It Again Sam Records
18. JD McPherson – It’s All Over But The Shouting – Let The Good Times Roll – Rounder
19. Billy Gibbons And The BFG’s – Treat Her Right – Perfectamundo – Concord/Universal Records
1. Olafur Arnalds & Nils Frahm – Life Story – Collaborative Works – Erased Tapes
2. Revolutionary Army (Of The Infant Jesus) – The Bright Field – – Revolutionary Army of The Infant Jesus – Occultation
3. Mathias Eick – At Sea – Midwest – ECM
4. Melanie De Biasio – Sweet Darling Pain – NoDeal – Play It Again Sam
5. Elliot Moss – At Sea – Highspeeds – Play It Again Sam
6. Acorn – Rapids – Vieux Loop – PaperbagRecords
7. Chris Forsyth & Koen Holtkamp – Long Beach – The Island – Trouble In Mind
8. Winged Victory For The Sullen – Atomos VI – – Atmos – Erased Tapes –
9. Revolutionary Army (Of The Infant Jesus – A Crowd Of Stars – Revolutionary Army of The Infant Jesus – Occultation
10. Olafur Arnalds & Alice Sara Ott – Letters Of A Traveller – – The Chopin Project – Decca
11. Lloyd Cole – Slight Orchestra – 1D Electronics 2012-2014 – Bureau B